Employment Inquiries: Frequently Asked Questions
Who is TeachCast?
TeachCast, LLC is a subsidiary of Eleutian Technology. It is the industry leader of online language instruction for global business and education entities. Founded in Ten Sleep, Wyoming in 2006 and currently headquartered in Cody, Wyoming, TeachCast’s effective teaching methods have already earned endorsements from many world-class organizations including: Oxford University Press, The British Council, Nagase Corporation of Japan, Kingsoft of China, Seoul Digital University of Korea and more. The strength of every course option we offer comes from the most qualified teaching staff in the industry. TeachCast is also an active partner with many corporations and schools in the development and delivery of custom English learning programs to meet their unique student needs.
Do I teach in a classroom?
All of TeachCast’s classes are taught online with video. Check out our Vimeo Channel to watch some class recordings. https://vimeo.com/channels/1512922
What are my typical working hours?
The majority of TeachCast’s working hours are in the evenings, overnight, and early mornings, seven days a week. This may change over time, but as most of our clientele are in Southeast Asia, we are on their hours.
We currently offer the following blocks. The commitment is through the end of the Indonesian school year which is in May 2021 and we are looking for teachers who can commit to 5 days a week. *Note, blocks will be 1 hour earlier when daylight savings time ends from November through March (Example, 6pm-11pm will become 5pm-10pm from November 1 – March 14)
Will I have a regular teaching schedule?
Yes. We have several blocks schedules to choose from. Typically, blocks are five days a week and four hours long. Schedules are usually for the entire school year, July-May. During the block, classes are added. Teachers are paid for their block schedule, not based on the number of classes they teach.
Classes are generally 50 minutes each and you typically meet with each class one time per week.
What is the pay?
Pay is $12 to $14 an hour depending on the project and experience. All teachers are hired as W-2 Employees, and paycheck are delivered bi-weekly via direct deposit into your bank account.
Is a teaching certificate required?
No, however, a sub certificate or TESOL or TEFL certificate is required at minimum. If you do not possess one, TeachCast can help you obtain one.
How many hours can I teach?
We have block schedules up to 40 hours a week.
What does training look like?
TeachCast’s training program is about 15 hours and consists of self-study modules and 1:1 and/or small group trainings with your trainer. Training will cover who we are as a company, lesson materials, online teaching, systems, cultural diversity, company policies and procedures, and more. Upon successful completion of training you will be paid a flat rate of $120.
Do you provide retirement options?
At this time, TeachCast does not provide retirement plans.
Do I have to make my own lesson plans?
No, TeachCast provides lesson plans based on Oxford University Press materials. Teachers will need to become familiar with them.
I heard that you can teach from your home. Is that true?
Yes! TeachCast has a direct work at home model where most of our teachers start working from home immediately! See requirements below. Or you can choose to work from our Cody, Wyoming teaching center.
Teach from Home Requirements
The following are required to teach from home:
- A controlled work area that is quiet and distraction free
- Low Profile noise canceling Headset with adequate sound quality
- There are a wide range of headsets available. Choose a headset with a noise canceling microphone that is low profile, comfortable, light weight, and has good sound quality. Wireless headsets are not allowed. Example: Sennheiser noise-cancelling USB headset
- Webcam and Background: TeachCast requires HD web camera and blue background which will be provided.
- Wired/Ethernet connection (not wireless). Wireless connections are often unstable and allow for fluctuation of speeds. Wireless connections are NOT allowed.
- Must have a modem/router and the ability to reset in case of issues.
- Bandwidth (computer speeds for uploading and downloading):
- Minimum speeds of 2 Mbps upload and 2 Mbps download are required.
- Go to http://teachcast.speedtestcustom.com/ and select a server in Seattle, WA. You must take a screenshot of your results for our inspection.
- Computer Specs
- Processor must be 2.0 GHz (dual core), 2.8 GHz (single core), or better
- Memory (RAM): 4 GB or more
- Allowed Operating Systems
- PC: Windows 10
- Mac: OS X10.8 Mountain Lion or newer
- Instructions to find your Processor Speed, Memory, and Operating System:
- Windows 10: Right click on the Start Button , select System
- Mac: click on the Apple, select About this Mac
- Browser Requirements
- Latest version of Google Chrome https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/index.html?standalone=1#eula
- Flash 11+
- Virus protection